Khao Soi is basically chicken and gravy served over noodles and eaten throughout Northern Thailand especially near Chiang Mai. This recipe is adapted from my cookbook of the moment from Chin Chin the Melbourne restaurant and it is delicious! The Chin Chin cookbook is packed full of delicious recipe’s and I really couldn’t find one that I didn’t want to try. Enjoy
1/4 cup dark soy sauce
1/4 cup light soy sauce,
plus 2 tbs extra
500g chicken legs, bone in, skin on
2 1/2 cups coconut cream
6-7 curry leaves
3 tbs kecap manis
1ltr chicken stock
2 tbs crispy garlic
5 large dried red chillies
3 cloves garlic
1 knob ginger
1/2 bunch coriander root
1 tbs curry powder I used Herbies
1 knob fresh turmeric
1 fresh red chilli
1. Mix the two soy sauces for a marinade. Add the chicken legs and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
2. Blitz the curry paste ingredients with a large pinch of salt and set aside.
3. In a heavy—based pan over a medium heat split the coconut cream using a little salt and oil. Add the curry paste and fry until fragrant (about 4-5 minutes).
4. while the paste is cooking, seal the chicken in a frying pan.
5. Add chicken, curry leaves, kecap manis and extra light soy to the curry sauce. Stir to combine. Add stock and stir again.
6. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the chicken is tender and almost falling apart. Check for seasoning then remove from heat. Divide the curry into serving bowls and garnish with the crispy garlic and fresh chilli slices. If you want a thicker sauce remove the chicken from the pot and reduce the sauce to your liking